Here are some ideas from Michael L. Emmons and Robert E. Alberti (Co-authors of your perfect right) that can help us create and maintain healthy relationships with our partners:
|8 IDEAS TO CREATE AND MAINTAIN HEALTHY RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR PARTNERS|
1. Don’t make promises you can’t or won’t keep. Be reliable in small things.
2. Keep short-term arguments in perspective. These will pass if they’re not blown out of proportion.
3. Give thought to the purpose of your relationship. Be clear about what you want and the value of what you’re trying to achieve.
4. Don’t assume the worst every time you have the same hassle. Many fights are triggered by similar events. Examine and try to change negative pattern interactions in your relationship.
5. Re-pledge yourselves to each other aloud occasionally.
6. Keep a journal and photo albums. Read about – or look at − the good times, when things get tough.
7. Examine the key dimensions of your relationship. Look for ways to strengthen your attraction to each other, improve your communication, feel more trust, have more strength of purpose and enhance your enjoyment of each other.
8. Develop and effective communication: I have a quote “Communication is the secret to intimacy” , Think about when you were in primary school, remember you had a best friend, after graduating into the college, you discover that, your cycle of friends changed and it went on till your present stage, but notice there probably will be one person you still long to see , chat with or hang out with, and you will find out , you two have being a talking friends, in our relationship with the Holy Spirit , you will see that we are being encouraged to pray always and study the word always, why? Communication will enhance that relationship even with divinity, little wonder why God set a time apart in the cool of the day to visit Adam.
Some of us have been so reserved in communicating with our spouses, my believe is, my wife deserves to know all about me and with the exception of nothing, I know when she is in her monthly cycle, I get the sanitary when close to her, I tell her every details of my life and family, even when I wronged her, I make sure she knows, no new friend can come into my life without her approval. And she does the same.